Pre-whole30, a friend of mine made these delicious lemony, nutty balls of goodness (she literally didn’t have a name for them). They were so yummy I, of course, requested the recipe. Unfortunately, they include oats, so I can’t have them while I’m doing Whole30. But I was determined to modify her recipe and create a version that was Whole30 and paleo-friendly.
Good news – I’ve succeeded! Below is my version, aptly named, Lemony Bites (aka amaze-balls). I’d also like to note that I will try try try my hardest to do a better job capturing “process” photos for all the recipes I post. I literally made these during my lunch break, so I didn’t have time to snap photos. Excuses, excuses, excuses…
1 cup raw almonds
13-15 dates (quantity depends on size)
1/2 cup melted raw coconut butter
1/3 cup raw cashew butter
Zest from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt to taste
Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Pulse dates in the food processor until broken down into little bits.
- Add almonds and pulse for a bit more until thoroughly chopped.
- Add melted coconut butter, cashew butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Give it a whirl until well combined.
- Roll mixture into 1.5-2 inch balls (the recipe makes about 14). Roll each ball in the unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Place on a plate or cookie sheet and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until coconut butter has cooled. Store in an airtight container for up to a week (if they’ll last that long before being devoured!).